Concerns grown from overbearing trees

Wham! It’s only 8:00 a.m. and another girl’s hair has gone to the dogs. All that the poor girl wanted was to get to her morning class, but her whole day became ruined when her hair was rudely wacked into a discombobulated mess by a branch.

Nothing says ‘good morning’ like a good ole whack in the face; right?

Why then? Why there? Why ever would this happen?

It never fails that I will be walking to class from Hutcheson Hall or back to my room, at the humble abode, and a hopeless student runs into a branch on one of the trees that border the walkway along the treacherous hill.

I can’t help but sympathize for the poor soul. It isn’t their fault. They are not excepting to run into something. Yes, it is common knowledge that the plants that are included in the landscaping around the University would be alive, but should not attack the students.

You may expect something like this to occur at a school like “Hogwarts,” but not at John Brown University.

These “Whomping Willows” need to be taken care of.

I have friends who work for ground’s that recognize the trees are ridiculously low, but every time I mention that they should work on the trees, they say they have to do their specifically set job. Whose job is it to trim the trees?

Trimming these branches is not something that would take an act of congress to complete and there is no need to call in the military either. There needs to be people, on ground’s crew that are assigned to keep up with the tree branches around campus.

It is quite obvious a tree’s branches need to be clipped when they are too low, stick out or are dead.

I see people on the ground’s crew take hours to sweep up dead leaves off the ground in a parking lot, when they could be using their time in other effective ways, making sure the trees are tended too.

Yes, controlling debris that are on the ground is important. Yes, trimming the bushes and pulling weeds is also important and makes the campus look nice, but when the branches of the trees are below eye level it is an issue.

There are many obstacles in our daily lives and throughout the rest of our lives that we will have to dodge, but branches should not be among them.

I may slightly miss the humorous responses that are put on display each time I make the walk, but would be relieved that I wouldn’t have to dodge the trees myself.

On numerous occasions I have run into a branch and as a rebound the branch, which is loaded with berries, pelted the person behind me.

Luckily, I haven’t witnessed or received any serious injuries from the trees, but I knock on wood each time the thought of a branch puncturing my eye comes to mind.