You have been counting down the days, maybe even the hours and minutes, and it so close you can almost smell the sunscreen—spring break!
Some will head home or go home with friends, others will serve around the world on various mission trips and a few brave, or rather crazy, students will venture out on the penultimate college experience, the road trip.
East coast, west coast, Texas or even Canada, there are so many great destinations within the grasps of our fingertips gripping the steering wheel. Gas expenses aside, of course.
Road trips are an excuse to eat junk food and stay up all night laughing deliriously with friends, especially if you are driving. They are an opportunity to listen to cheesy oldie-goldie music, and sing to your new favorite tune at the top of your longs, on repeat.
If you do not know the people you are riding with when you start, you will certainly know them after 25 consecutives hours in a confined space; for better or for worse.
Before you set out on your road trip, if you have the privilege of doing so, keep the following in mind.
1. Calculate gas prices before you head out. You do not want to run out of money in the middle of an abandoned highway and be forced to hitchhike; that is just asking to be thrown into the middle of a scary movie plotline.
2. Know your limit, of caffeine of course. While it may seem tempting to down that sixth cup of java for the day, it is really not healthy to do. You could end up shaking or sick to your stomach, and at the end of the day, you will still crash again. Plus, none of your travel companions want to deal with a super-hyped-junior-high-reminiscent version of you. Opt for some fruit instead.
3. Make sure you are reading the map correctly. This is obvious, but imperative.
4. If you can’t read a map, print off directions from Google maps or invest in a GPS. Also obvious, but still necessary to emphasize.
5. Be compassionate. Be forgiving. It’s a long ride; people may get upset with one another. Realize that and prepare yourself. After all, the point of the road trip is to have fun!