A glance at upcoming music awards

It’s about that time again. Time for all of the annual entertainment award shows to mess up your normal T.V. watching schedule.

Last week, the nominees for this year’s American Music Awards were released. The American Music Awards is an awards show that happens every year; created by Dick Clark in 1973 for ABC when the network’s contract to present the Grammy Awards expired. Unlike the Grammys, which are awarded on the basis of votes by members of the Recording Academy, the AMAs are determined by a poll of the public and music buyers who can vote for their favorite artists online. Among the chosen are some of John Brown University’s favorite performers like Justin Timberlake, the Lumineers and Imagine Dragons. Students expressed their opinions about the show and nominees this year.

“I wish there was more variety in who’s nominated,” said freshman Tara Sallee.

There’s not a lot of variance in the artists who are nominated. Out of the 71 possible spots for nominations, there are only 38 artists.

“I’m so sick of Taylor Swift,” said freshman Hayley Truitt. “She’s everywhere.”

Country/pop singer Taylor Swift is nominated for five awards including Artist of the Year, Favorite Female Artist in both country and pop and Favorite Album in both country and pop.

“Imagine Dragons is awesome!” said Junior Jedidiah Spurgeon. “I especially like their song ‘It’s Time.’”

Indie/pop band Imagine Dragons is nominated for two awards: New Artist of the Year and Favorite Band, Duo or Group.

“I really love Justin Timberlake…especially his song Mirrors,” said Sallee.

Timberlake is back on the charts again with his two-part album The 20/20 Experience. He is nominated for several awards including Artist of the Year, Favorite Male Artist in both pop/rock and soul/R&B and Favorite Album in both pop/rock and soul/R&B.

“I’m glad the Lumineers are nominated for Favorite Artist,” said Spurgeon. “Their songs are really good, they’re catchy, and the lyrics are genuine.”

Spurgeon said his favorite song by the Lumineers is “Submarines.”

Truitt said the movie soundtracks that were nominated were definitely not her favorite. The three movies nominated for Top Soundtrack are “The Great Gatsby,” “Les Miserable” and “Pitch Perfect.”

“I hate all those movies,” Truitt said.

Spurgeon was skeptical about the movies nominated as well.

“I’m confused about why Gatsby is nominated,” he said.

Sallee, on the other hand has a more positive view.

“I absolutely love Les Mis,” she said. “I hope that one wins that category.”

Since the AMAs are based on the public’s opinion and input, voting is highly encouraged by the ABC. All of the artists nominated for each category are listed on the website www.theamas.com/nominees.

The polls are now open, so viewers can cast their votes at amavote.com. The winners will be announced live on ABC at 8 p.m. on Nov, 24.

“I know I’ll be watching,” said Sallee. “I am always really interested to see who wins what in every awards show.”