Sports

Royals advance to World Series after 29 years

It’s been an odd year for Kansas City Royals fans.

The last time the Royals made it to the World Series, or even the postseason for that matter, was 1985 (that’s 29 years ago). Now, in 2014, the team has both made it to the playoffs and is currently battling the San Francisco Giants for this year’s World Series title.

Matt Carnefix, a sophomore construction management major at John Brown University, is surprised by the Royals’ World Series appearance.

“It’s surprising because they’ve been so bad for so long. But it’s good… I think it’s exciting for Kansas City because they’ve been gone [from the playoffs] for 29 years and they haven’t been good any of those times,” said Carnefix.

For Derek Stout, a junior construction management major at the University and a Kansas City native, this playoff appearance is a first for his home team during his lifetime. He is enjoying this unusual occurrence.

“Growing up in Kansas City, I’ve always been a fan of the Royals, so I think it’s kind of crazy that we made it to the playoffs, finally. Growing up, I never got to see a winning Kansas City team. It was always a losing team… I think it’s cool to see our players get this far and our team go this far,” said Stout.

Though he is excited about his team’s World Series appearance, Stout also pointed out that his team’s success might affect the affordability of games, which he has enjoyed attending over the years.

“I would go to the games and it would be eight dollar tickets, super cheap seats… I don’t think that’s gonna be there anymore,” he said.

Though not a Kansas City native, Carnefix was excited about the Royals’ championship appearance. But he also made something clear: though the Royals have made it to the World Series, he doesn’t see them as champions just yet.

“I’m excited about it, but I think the Giants are going to beat them. I think it’s exciting, but that’s about it,” he said.

Editor’s note: This article has been edited on 08/20/21.