Opinion Uncategorized

Study abroad helps conquer fear

jessie_brandon-_headshot

Study abroad is a big topic discussed at JBU. Personally, I feel like everyone should go on a study abroad trip. John Brown has sent people to Ireland, New Zealand, Germany and many more. There are major bene ts to studying abroad. First of all, you get class credit! You can sit in a classroom every week viewing pictures of what you could see in real life, but with a study abroad you actually see everything in real life. Second, you gain new friendships, and you grow closer to your professors. Third, you get an experience of a lifetime by traveling the world. I got the opportunity to explore France for two weeks this summer on the European Art Tour offered by JBU. I joined a group of girls that I barely knew and adventured to the unknown streets of Paris. The trip was filled with new explorations and adventures.

img_4382

We went to museums and saw world-famous paintings like Mona Lisa and Raft of Medusa. Furthermore, we went to famous landmarks like Notre Dame, Arc de Triumphe, Eiffel Tower (of course), Rodin Museum, Napoleons tomb, Monet’s gardens and
the list goes on. I ate some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. I gained so many memories with such a wonderful group of strangers that I can now call my friends. But aside from all of the fun places we went and all the amazing food I ate, I conquered lots of personal goals. The best part of the trip was being able to step out of my comfort zone daily. Every day I conquered a new fear. I was afraid to go to the top of the Notre Dame, but I did it. The next day I was afraid to go to the top of the Arc de Triumphe, but I did it. Most of all, I was afraid to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but I did it. I conquered the feeling of being uncomfortable. There are a lot of uncomfortable situations on a study abroad trip, but the best part is you never have to do it alone. I gained friends on this trip because we all conquered our fears together.

img_3985

I was never alone, and I was always encouraged to beat my fear. Overall, my faith grew stronger because of my study abroad trip. I learned to trust God more because my fear stems from my human body, but God can conquer it all.
God wants everyone to go out of his or her comfort zone because He is found when you are helpless, confused and lost. Everyone should go on a study abroad trip at some point in their education because you gain friends for life, get class credit, and experience a once in a lifetime opportunity.