Koinonia reaches Siloam Springs residents through apartment ministry

Koinonia, a campus CAUSE ministry, was started last year to reach out to a poor community in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. Myself and other members of Koinonia visit a poor apartment complex called the Tahlequah Apartments. The ministry was founded on the idea to go door-to-door in the apartment complex and ask if we could start a club for kids there where we could play games and have other fun activities for them. Since last year, the ministry has grown and changed. Now, we go into their homes and just talk to residents and build relationships with them and their children.

Also, we now work with First Baptist Church of Siloam, and a group of individuals from that church have also started to come visit these incredible people with us. They bring a meal every other week, and together, we work to strengthen and encourage the people of the Tahlequah Apartments. The people we have the opportunity to engage with are wonderful, and their lives are very different from ours. They genuinely desire to know that they are loved. I was not a leader the first year of this ministry, but when I heard about it, it immediately drew my attention. I participated the first year and fell in love with the people we got to know.

After the first year, I was asked to become a leader of the ministry. I am honored to be a part of something bigger than myself, and, since becoming a part of this ministry I have grown so much in my faith, one does not need to travel the world to be a part of what God is doing. These people have blessed me so much and I am blessed with the opportunity to continue being a part of their lives!  But the truth is we need more people, we do not have a very big team and connecting with the people there in the way we desire will require more help.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and if you are interested at all in helping in any capacity please let me know (allenmr@jbu.edu). We are currently starting a coat and blanket drive for the sweet people of the Tahlequah apartments and would be grateful for any donations you might have. Thank you. I cannot wait to see what God will continue to do in this community.