covid policies

The faded gray of JBU COVID-19 policies

As a sophomore, my summer was filled with interrogation concerning my first year experience at college. “What was it like?” “Did you make friends?” “How were classes?” “Do you like the school?” I was (and still am) quick to commend John Brown University for its fantastic community, challenging academics, and especially, its response to the pandemic. Despite the intense politicization of both the COVID-19 virus and evangelicalism as a whole, I felt that JBU followed a greatly rational approach in its decision to follow current science and Scripture itself in its policies.

Even still, I believe one of JBU’s greatest strengths is in its neutrality ultimately garnered through a sincere following of Christ. To me, this is primarily evident in the political sphere. JBU claims no political party or political affiliation of any sort. Its only association is with Jesus Christ and His church. Thus, I would argue its decision-making is markedly and uniquely neutral, especially concerning COVID-19 policies.

Most impressively, it seems that JBU has found a way to please both sides of the political coin. Masks are required, but only in chapel and classrooms. Six-foot distancing has been replaced with only three feet, but it is hardly upheld. Vaccines are strongly recommended, but not required. Each side of the debate can have a piece of the pie and eat it too. However, placation is not satisfaction. Often, on both sides, these appeasing policies seem foolish. For some, the question is: “Why are masks only required in chapel and class, but not in the caf, the residence halls or other highly populated indoor spaces?” Conversely, others are asking: “If we’re only required to wear masks in two places, why are they required at all? What difference does chapel and class make?”

It is no secret that the state of Arkansas has suffered greatly during the pandemic. On Sept. 10, 2021, the state’s total case count was 472,136, hospitalization count, 1,149, and a death toll of 7, 169. As recently as Aug. 24, 2021, Arkansas public health officials announced that they had run out of available hospital beds. Only 1,270,835 of Arkansas’ nearly 3,000,000 residents are vaccinated. Furthermore, scientific studies from the past year have offered a wealth of evidence confirming the effectiveness of masks and distancing in evading the virus. The objectives of COVID-19 are painfully clear: avoid it in medically sound ways or suffer potentially severe consequences. Along with many issues concerning life and death, it is plainly black and white.

In such dire straits, why is JBU insistent on crafting its own particularly faded shade of gray? To me, the answer is clear. As an institution, it would rather create weak policy in the face of a deadly virus than risk the potential of claiming one political side or another. Is this not the same neutrality I commended to my family and friends over the summer?