Threefold editors’ exit interviews

Russell Hixson
As interviewed by Brittany Reading

What are your impressions of Arkansas after coming here from Canada?
There some initial things that were new to me. It was incredibly hot and sticky, strangers waved at you, people talked really loud. I felt claustrophobic not being close to the ocean. And I know it sounds cheesy, but for the most part, people are people no matter where you go.

What led you to become a journalist?
I like writing but am terrible at writing fiction. I thought journalism would be a good compromise. I also found myself passionate about telling people’s stories – the little people who are overlooked, misunderstood or marginalized. Those are the people who I want to talk to. Those are the people that make it worthwhile.

Though it is unknown to many people, how did you get into acting as a child? What are some of your favorite acting gigs you’ve been in?
Wow, thanks, Brittany. Like all parents, mine thought I was the cutest. They sent photos of my chubby face to talent agencies in Vancouver and I got representation. I was cast in commercials for toys, cars, drinks and tons more. As I got older and less cute, I was used as a professional voice actor for screaming, grunting and background audio for Stephen King miniseries and other shows. My favorite acting job was probably the screaming. Nothing beats having someone ask you to scream as loud as you can and get paid for it.

If you could change one thing on campus, what would it be?
I would not make chapels mandatory. My spirituality has been dictated my whole life and for me it takes away the joy. I think taking away the choice makes the gesture emptier. If there were no required chapels, students and faculty would still show up. I believe that. I also believe that students should be allowed to choose where they worship and hear the word of God. And JBU demands so much of its students academically that to burden students with hours of chapel is frustrating.

If you could trade places with any person on campus, who would it be and why?
Lee Schrader. To have the man’s luxurious tendrils of flowing hair for a day would be epic.

Are you @FakeJBUPR?
Yep.

Brittany Reading
As interviewed by Russell Hixson

How are you different coming out of the school than going in?
Before coming to JBU, I was insecure in nearly every aspect of my life and never believed I had the ability to succeed. Maybe it was my height or the fact that it was hard to make my parents proud, but it wasn’t until I started working for the Threefold Advocate that I began to truly gain confidence in myself. Working for the newspaper challenged my views on nearly everything I thought I was right about, and helped me see myself in a new light as I was able to make a difference on campus through my work.

If you could change one thing about the school, what would it be?
The number one thing I would change is the music scene at JBU. It’s really great that BLUE has been able to bring in such well-known musicians, but there are so many genres that have yet to make an appearance on campus. Well-known musicians aren’t the only ones singing the same tunes, but so are the local artists that JBU hosts at their events. Where’s metal, hip-hop or even Latin music? Students are missing out on hearing such beautiful music simply because it doesn’t “fit” the demographics.

Name one thing you love, one thing you hate, one thing that scares you.
Dr. Pepper. Nickleback. Clowns.

How do you think others view you?
Sadly, as the short girl who only has one friend and lacks a sense of style. Surprisingly, a lot of people think I’m quiet before they get to know me. Little do they know, I’m incredibly loud, full of lots of opinions, and actually have friends. And my style? I simply don’t see the point in dressing up just to go to class, but I can clean up pretty nice when I have to.

What is life like for a shorter individual?
More difficult than one would imagine. I can’t go anywhere without at least one person saying, “Look at how tiny she is!” Or my personal favorite, “Do you know you’re short?” Of course I know I’m short, I’m only 4’10.” Walking around campus has gotten easier, but I’m still afraid to walk across the platform when I grab my diploma because of what people may say about my height. It’s a work in progress, but I’m learning to love myself for who I am. You know what they say, dynamite comes in small packages.