Having a heart for Christian service

When I tell people that I go to school at John Brown University, their first question is “Where is that?” Usually followed by “Where is Siloam Springs?” or “Oh. That is a small Christian school, right?”

Then I get asked, “Why did you choose such a small school?”

I graduated high school with 600 of my closest friends… whatever that saying means. Okay, really I could only name about half of my classmates and that number probably dwindles with each year I’m away from high school.

But because I graduated from a public high school whose building probably wouldn’t even fit on JBU’s campus and the fact that I chose a tiny school with a biblically based worldview really surprises some people.

Maybe because they know that I am one to write, “change the world” at the top of my to-do list.

I have learned, since I have been here, that breaking out of your comfort zone is hard. It is much easier to do what you are used to, and not have to deal with that sense of “culture shock.”

But I have also learned that this is not possible for me to do if I want to continue living in a way that is worthy of the calling that God has for my life.

I need to be willing to go where he leads and be committed to serving him in all circumstances.

Including right here on my small Christian school campus.

I fully believe that we are placed in certain circumstances for specific reasons. Meaning that I am here at John Brown University for a reason… and I do not know what that is yet.

There is a lot that can be said about leaving your comfort zone, traveling abroad and sharing the love of Christ with others.

But fulfilling the calling that Jesus has for our lives does not have to send you far. Acts 1:8 says “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

I get caught up a lot in thinking about the bigger picture of “Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” It’s hard for me to be comfortable with the idea of ministry within my comfort zone and even within my own circle of friends.

I have learned that I need to be okay with the idea that God has placed me where I am so that he can grow and stretch me further. So that I can become what he has planned for me. So that I can be comfortable with sharing and spreading the love of Christ within my own group of friends.

We are placed in every stage of our life for a reason. Comfortable or uncomfortable… that may mean ministry where you least expect it.