Student-athlete pours passion into FCA

FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) has always been a passion of mine. After my internship with FCA Volleyball last summer, God put it on my heart to restart the FCA program here at JBU. FCA is the largest Christian sports organization in the world, and has a goal of using the medium of sports to impact the world for Christ. It is also the only Christian organization allowed to enter the public schools.

During my internship I was able to be a part of a strong and loving community unlike anything that I had ever experienced before. Through that community I was able to grow closer to Christ and build long-lasting relationships. I believe that much of our spiritual growth happens in community with other believers who love us, encourage us, and hold us accountable.

Three of my main passions are God, sports and people, which is what FCA is all about. My hopes in restarting FCA is to build relationships and a stronger community for both athletes and non-athletes at JBU and ultimately to encourage them to grow spiritually.

Right now we have a leadership team of about 20 athletes who are in the process of establishing the structure of FCA. These athletes were recommended by their coaches or other athletes and are considered to be spiritual leaders on their teams.

Usually an FCA huddle meeting involves prayer, worship, a speaker, food and games. There will be times for students at JBU to fellowship with one another and opportunities to get involved in the community around us. We have many opportunities to serve the community around us. There are many middle schools, junior highs, and high schools in Northwest Arkansas that have FCA programs that we could help out. We have already had a few athletes go and speak at the Siloam Springs Middle School huddle.

The goal is to have a fun kick-off event right after we return from spring break where we will explain what FCA is all about, what we will be doing, and of course, food, games and prizes! More information to come soon!