Goodbye John Brown University: Threefold staff relive the past four years

Editor-in-Chief Sidney Van Wyk

1. What is one thing you want people outside the Threefold to know about the paper?

A column is an opinion. An article is not. Don’t get it twisted.

2. How would you describe a layout night?

Terrible because everyone is stressed and trying to make sure everything gets done on time. Awesome because everyone goes crazy and the most hilarious things happen. There is a reason we have an office quote wall that does not have any free space.

3. Why did you choose journalism?

I really love stories and I want to help people connect through their stories. Where exactly that will take me, I don’t know.

4. Have you ever learned to open your mailbox?

No, but I have become good friends with the mail ladies. They are fantastic!

5. One thing on your bucket list you never did:

I never took the time to go out and spend a day at Devil’s Den State Park. I wanted to go to Devil’s Den even before coming to JBU, but I kept putting it off.

6 Favorite Marquita quote/memory:

There are too many. But I’ll go with the first time I met Marquita and she showed us how she dances to relieve stress. Learning is always body, mind and soul.

7. What will you miss most about JBU?

I’ll miss the people (I’m really trying to avoid that “community” word). I have loved living with people who love God and want to be there for each other. For the most part, people are pretty chill here and are okay with not having all the answers.

8. Best Threefold related story?

The staff went to Orlando for a conference and the last night of our trip, most of us went to Universal Village. There was a street DJ trying to start some kind of street dance so, naturally, our staff joined in with the crowd there. For about 20 minutes we all got down and pulled out our best moves (aka the shopping cart) without any shame. It was great.

9. Advice for freshmen?

Do something. It’s good to be passionate about something – even if it’s just hall activities. Find something to care about on campus. When you finally graduate you will be able to say something you did mattered to others and you made friends you wouldn’t have otherwise. That is worth so much.

Staff Writer Shelby DeLay

We actually do work hard. It’s harder than you think to schedule interviews and time to write stories each week on top of all your other classes.

Crazy. There are deadlines you should meet, deadlines you don’t meet and stress. But somehow we get it all done. I’m probably the worst person you could ask about this, though. #ThreefoldEditorDropOut

3. Why did you choose journalism?

When I really thought about what I wanted to do with my life, I decided that I really like writing, people and the stories that come out of mixing those things together. When I put it all together, I realized that journalism was the answer to that mystery.

Yes, actually. That’s something SOME of us learned how to do at ERP *cough* Sid *cough*

I REALLY wanted to get written up for an open dorm violation this year. And it never happened. (Sorry Meredith. I know you told me to take that off my bucket list . . . but I just couldn’t.)

6. Favorite Marquita quote/memory:

Freshman year, Marquita, you TERRIFIED me. Until that one time in Editing class, when you told us that we had a whole lesson on grammar. Your exact words were, “Grammar is boring, but we have to learn it anyway. Get up. We will dance it out. Grammar aerobics!”

7. What will you miss most about JBU?

I’m not afraid to throw out that cliché word. So I’ll say “the community.” I lived in a dorm all four years I was here, and I loved being able to walk right down the hall and know there are people who care about me and are willing to drop everything to talk, laugh, cry or do something crazy.

8. Best Threefold related story?

That one time we thought medical marijuana was legalized on election night in 2012. We spent the better part of an hour preparing an editorial and a comic about the whole ordeal . . . then we found out that we don’t quite know how to read poll results.

9. Advice for freshmen?

Be yourself. You’re going to grow and change a lot these next few years. Don’t be scared to let that happen. Hold your friends close, and find importance in growing closer to the Lord because it is so absolutely vital to your success in college. Find something you are passionate about, people you love and make the best of it all.