Homecoming events honor and reminisce

With Homecoming in full swing at John Brown University, students, faculty and community members are enjoying the various events and activities on campus.

One of the most anticipated events is the Disney Animated Musicals Showcase.

The showcase features students and alumni teaming up to recreate some of the most memorable Disney songs countless people grew up with.

Junior Matt Bowen, a member of the showcase cast, was invited to be a part of the production after the director saw his abilities on an Ireland choir trip.

“It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time,” Bowen said.

Bowen said it was an honor to be chosen to perform the Disney classics.

“I remember when I saw the showcase as a freshman,” Bowen said.

“I was wowed by the talent this school has.”

The songs preformed in the showcase will come from some of the most popular Disney movies of all time, such as Beauty and The Beast, Mulan, Aladdin, The Lion King and Frozen.

Bowen will be performing the song “A Friend like Me” from the movie Aladdin, an act that he is particularly honored to preform due to his admiration for the late Robin Williams. Williams voiced the role of the Genie in the original film.

“Robin Williams was given the gift to be able to do a lot of different pieces. I remember in one interview he did 32 different characters,” Bowen said. “In his passing, I just want to do him honor.”

The idea for a Disney themed showcase has students interested and excited.

“I have an obsession with Disney,” said freshman Blythe Wisdom.

“I was the Little Mermaid twice for Halloween.”

“I have never experienced homecoming before, so I am pumped,” Wisdom said.

The showcase premieres Saturday Oct. 4 at 7:00 p.m. in the Cathedral of the Ozarks.