Ugandan imparts vision

Innocent Byaruhanga, founding director of Save Street Children Uganda, spoke to faculty and students gathered for a Mosaic meeting on Tuesday.

“I was a street boy who left my family when I was five,” Byaruhanga said, explaining that he lived on the streets for nine years. “But God had a plan,” he said.

Byaruhanga founded his street ministry in 2005 to help those living the life he had lived.

“Save Street Children exists to protect and restore hope amongst street children, orphans, and vulnerable children and youth,” Byaruhanga said.

Byaruhanga has been able to help 385 children, the majority of which are now living with their families again.

Currently 54 children find shelter through the organization, but it also supports the other 331 youths through education, medical care, skills training, providing scholastic supplies and advocating for their rights.

Byaruhanga encouraged international students to go back to their home countries when they graduate from John Brown University. “I wonder why some people come, and they tend not to remain in their countries,” he said.

“You are the driving force of your communities,” Byaruhanga said. “If you don’t sacrifice your lives for your countries where you come from, then no one is going to change it.”