You’ll make the time

The phrase “You will make time for the things you treasure” is a well known one. It is one that I agree with, because in this phrase, many crucial parts of life are covered: Desires, time management, identity, importance and more. I would like to, though, focus on the word “make” and explore it.

It is important to keep in mind that I am writing not with the idea that we as humans, frail and fallen, can do anything on our own. As I write, though I will not talk about God, I look at this through a Christian lens. I do recognize that God is essential to any progress of any kind.

Make: (Verb)

Cause something to exist or come about; bring about.

Because there are two parts, “Cause something to exist” and “come about; bring about”, I will break it up into two sections: A and B.

A) “Cause something to exist”

In order to make something exist, you must have something to build upon. Nothing can come from nothing. You cannot create a sandwich without bread, a fire without oxygen, a child without a sperm.

If you make something, you must have something you are building upon. If you want to make it in the real world, you must have experience. If you want to make a girl have feelings for you, you must have something likable about you. If you want to make a speech, you must have an opinion. Before you make anything, look at what you have. Then create.

But how, in this definition, do you make time? How can you cause time to exist?

You cannot. It is impossible. Therefore, we must make it come about; bring about.

B) “Cause something to come about; bring about”

Come About: Happen.

Happen: (Verb) Take place; occur.

Occur: (Verb) Exist or be found to be present in a place or under particular set of conditions.

For something to exist or be present under a particular set of conditions, you must, obviously, have something (See A) and a particular set of conditions (see B definition). Take Craig for example:

Craig is a busy student. He has an 8 a.m. class. His classes continue until 4 p.m., when he works out. He then eats dinner. Next comes homework. He falls asleep on his couch around 1 a.m. This is his daily routine.

Soon, though, an opportunity arises for Craig. He meets the girl of his dreams: Maggie. Craig is lovestruck. Wouldn’t you know it, Maggie likes him too. Craig and Maggie begin dating. Soon, Maggie feels left out. Craig isn’t spending enough time with her. She then says the words that every man dreads: “You don’t make enough time for me.”

Now there is a problem. Craig has his particular set of conditions: He is too busy. How then does he make time for Maggie? How does he make time occur?

By getting rid of something.

It’s at this point that Craig asks the hard question: Am I willing to drop something for this?

The first definition of “make” is the total creation of something. The second one almost always requires the breaking of something.

Craig cannot do all of his homework and date Maggie just as I cannot sleep in and see the sunrise. Just as I cannot lose weight and eat unhealthy food.

Something must give.

You cannot do nothing and expect results. You must make something happen.

In conclusion, you are destined to want things. You will want things. In order do these things, you must give up something. You must make it happen.