Local

JBU Mock Rock Brings Tunes and Hilarity Once Again

The long-standing tradition of Mock Rock brought students together once again on Saturday, Nov. 11, to witness an entertaining and exciting lip-sync battle at the Cathedral of the Ozarks. Hosted by Student Events and Activities (SEA), the event presented ten unforgettable performances of students who were competing for cash prizes, but also enjoying a joyful and fun experience. As participants entered the spotlight, each bringing their carefully chosen songs and choreography, the audience clapped, shouted, and sang along.

The doors opened at 7 p.m., and even before they opened, a large number of students were already waiting in line to get a seat. Meanwhile, performers and emcees were preparing in their best costumes to give an outstanding show.

Ari Yam, a junior computer science major and one of the SEA event organizers, acknowledged how much work goes into arranging an event this big, but also expressed how much he appreciated being involved.

“It was great to be part of it. I never realized how long it takes to organize these types of big events,” Yam said.

The show had free entrance and was a great opportunity for students and faculty to enjoy their Saturday after a full week.

“I not only helped organize everything but also presented that day. I was exhausted at the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it,” Yam said.

One of the main purposes of this event is to engage the entire John Brown University community, and students, parents, and even JBU President, Chip Pollard, was in attendance. Gabriela Peralta, a sophomore student, expressed her enthusiasm for the acts she watched.

“It was a fun night. The students who got the first place did a great job, I think it was fair,” Peralta said.

As the battle concluded, the first three places in the competition were given cash prices of $750, $500, and $250. Mock Rock will surely continue to be a beloved tradition that brings students together for years to come, given its harmonious mix of talent and comedy.

“I decided to go because the Mock Rock last year was great. I will never get tired of attending these types of events,” Peralta said.