Craving A Fast; Craving a Lifestyle

Lent is a time where you give up something as an act to honor God. This might have been productive in the Old Testament times but since Jesus came, isn’t this how we are supposed to live every day?

I gave up soda once. By the end of that month, I craved soda more than anything else and I wasn’t even thinking of why I did it. Same when I gave up Facebook. Why do we try to give up something for 40 days when at the end of it we are craving it even more than before? Do we really know the reasons why we do things like this?

I am a Christian who does not celebrate Lent. My family never prompted me to do so. The family that I babysit for introduced me to the idea of Lent and when my little girl asked me what I gave up; I didn’t know what to say.

She gave up ice cream and her brother gave up soda. They told me over and over these were the things they gave up. They made sure I knew. They were so proud.

It was almost like a competition. People flaunt what they have given up. Doesn’t God tell us that when we fast, we should remain the same?

In Matthew 6:17-18 Jesus said “But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and you Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

Think about what you are giving up and why you are doing.

As Christians, I think that this is the life we should live every day. If there is something we are willing to give up for 40 days, shouldn’t we be able to give it up for life? That’s a hard question and I don’t want to justify. But I think that things like these should be given up in moderation.

Over the years, loop holes have been created to make Lent “easier”. You can do this this day and this this day. In the end, we are twisting this season to fit our American wants and needs.

This is the way we should live every day to honor God. Not make a craving worse but take time to understand what our marvelous Lord did for us. That was his lifestyle.