Local

The Senior Portfolio Exhibit of John Brown University

On Thursday, April 11 the senior art students at John Brown University hosted a portfolio exhibit in Simmons Hall. This annual event gave soon-to-be graduates the opportunity to showcase their most career-defining artworks and prepare for the next chapter in their lives.

The exhibition was a completion of the art students’ four-year journey at JBU during which they developed their skills, explored artistic passion and demonstrated their unique creative voice. The display featured a diverse range of mediums including oil painting, digital art, animation, photography and film, presenting their talent and versatility among the class of 2024.

Aubrey Bouvier, a senior Art and Illustration major shared her takeaways from the portfolio show. “I think the biggest thing I took away from the portfolio show was the amount of practice I had presenting myself in a professional setting. I had never done anything like that before, especially not while showcasing my work,” Bouvier said, “I was able to talk about myself, my work, and what it means to me over and over to people I didn’t know. That gave me confidence, and I could see myself easily talking to employers or buyers in the same way.”

In addition to the stunning works of art, the students also presented their resumes, personal websites and branding material like their business cards, providing a glimpse into their professional aspirations and the steps they have taken to prepare for their future artistic careers.

Caroline Hillock, a senior Digital Cinema major, also shared some of her experiences regarding the portfolio exhibit.

“Coming out of it I felt like I had figured out how to talk about myself and my work more confidently once the show had ended,” Hillock said, “I didn’t really get feedback from people like my professor said we would, they were just interested in what I wanted to do with my life.”

The event was attended by faculty, staff, students and members of the local community. The portfolio exhibit served as a testament to the education and mentorship provided by the Art Department at John Brown University, as well as the dedication of the students. With exceptional talents and professional skills, they will make a long-lasting mark on the art world.

Photo courtesy of Maria Fernanda