Sports

Oscar Carballo: a story of personal success

From earning the Sooner Athletic Most Valuable Player award in his freshman season to getting selected captain in his junior year, the now senior Oscar Carballo, midfielder and captain of the John Brown University’s men’s soccer team, is an example that hard work pays off, persevering through adversities and building himself a successful soccer career.  

Originally from Costa Rica, Carballo has played soccer for as long as he can remember. “It has always been what I like the most. The moment my feet touch a ball, all my problems go away. At least while I’m playing,” Carballo said. For him, soccer was important because it kept him on a healthy path, and showed him he could have a better future. “Where I grew up, the environment was not the best one. A lot of people were on drugs and doing things they should not be doing, and soccer was the thing that kept me away from all of that,” he said.

After years of preparation in Costa Rica, which includes a pair of seasons with the Costa Rican U-15 National Team and a spot on the 2015 U-17 National Team, Carballo started at John Brown in the fall of 2019. He was selected by coach Brenton Benware, former JBU’s soccer coach, after seeing Carballo play in Costa Rica during a showcase. Fully endorsed by coach Benware, Carballo moved to Siloam Springs, and began his college career at John Brown, majoring in construction management, with a full-ride scholarship.

When asked about his freshman year experience, Carballo had no issues feeling comfortable in the team. “It wasn’t difficult getting used to training or my teammates; I started playing as soon as I got here,” Carballo said. Carballo started all 22 matches of their fall season and finished with 20 goals and nine assists. “That year we did well. We won the season’s conference play; the conference’s tournament and we went to nationals,” he added. Carballo was selected for the Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) Freshman of the Year, SAC’s Player of the Year and was extended an NAIA All-America honorable mention honor.

With only his freshmen year under his belt, Carballo became sub-captain of the team. However, due to Covid-19, the 2020 soccer season was adjusted to a shorter conference play, and only twelve matches were played in the season. “I didn’t have a season as good as my first one, but I still felt more settled in. I felt in my zone,” Carballo said.

In his third year on the team, Carballo was chosen to be the Captain by his teammates. “It felt great because the whole team voted for the two players they considered the best fit to be the captain, and I got the most votes. I was happy because it showed me that my teammates trust me,” he said. About his approach to leading the team, Carballo said that he tries to maintain a good relationship with each player and motivate them during games when they are not getting the results they expect to get. “Inside the field, I try to be the best leader I can be. I try to motivate them and don’t let them give up and fall. In the locker room, I try to include and interact with every player, which is easy because many of them are my best friends here.” Carballo had been captain of his former teams in Costa Rica, so he felt ready for the role. “because of my experience as a captain, I already knew how I wanted to lead the team. Also, knowing I had their trust made it easier,” he said.

In their most recent season, JBU’s soccer team earned fourth-seeded in the SAC’s conference play and reached the semi-finals but lost 1-0 against Mid-America Christian College. For Carballo, the season was difficult because he got injured and had to be out for several games, but he still was proud of the team’s performance. “We had a good run; we were hopeful we would win. We started really good. I personally started really well, but I got injured and had to be out for 5 matches. I then came back slowly, not as a starter, but only playing a few minutes and increasing the time at each game. I feel like we did good given the circumstances, but we wanted to win,” Carballo said.

For four years, Carballo faced several challenges that despite the difficulty to overcome, have allowed him to become a better man. “Being away from my family and friends is very difficult. At the same time, though, I’m grateful for this time because it has allowed me to grow up and become more mature. Soccer-wise, I’ve gotten injured the last two years during the season, which has made me feel like I haven’t been able to give the best version of myself. I hope to give my best this year,” Carballo said.

Nonetheless, Carballo has also had great moments that he looks back to and remembers joyfully. “In my freshman year, we were playing the tournament’s semifinal against Wayland Baptist. We were tied 1-1, and we had to go over time, which is when I scored the winning goal. Everybody came down to celebrate with us in the field. It was amazing,” Carballo said.

Despite the losses, injuries, and personal challenges, Carballo continues motivated to keep on playing the sports he loves. “My biggest motivation is wanting to have a better future, one that I would not have had back home. My family, too. I know that I play not only for me but for them as well. They keep me from giving up and carrying on,” he said. Within his family, Carballo sees his dad as his biggest supporter and role model. “All my life, he never missed a game when I was little. He has even visited JBU to see me play. He’s the best, my role model. He works hard, he’s a good person, and treats everyone with kindness. He worked as a janitor to support us, and then when he was 40, he became a lawyer,” Carballo added.

Carballo will have one last run with his team next fall, due to an extra year of eligibility to play because of COVID, and will graduate in December. Reflecting on his JBU career, he feels extremely grateful for the opportunity he got. “Coming here changed my life; it gave me a future that I would not have had back home. It gave me a different perspective on the world and helped me change for the better.”

Carballo plans to continue playing soccer after graduation. “I’m looking through some options that, if everything goes according to plan, I will play soccer professionally,” he said.