Natalie Davey: Showing Christ Through the Art of Writing 

Natalie Davey just became one of the newest faculty members at John Brown University, starting this fall semester as an adjunct instructor for the English Department. This is Davey’s first experience teaching at the college level, marking an exciting point of her professional career. Working at JBU played out as her best option, and she kindly shared with us more details about this new phase of her life.  

Originally from Kansas City, Davey first moved to Fayetteville in 2014 to major in English at the University of Arkansas. Having earned her bachelor’s degree, she opted to get a master’s in teaching, which she completed five years later.  

It was during this time that she married her high school sweetheart, and this year they welcomed their first child into the family. While caring for her new baby, Davey was offered the opportunity to work as an adjunct teacher at JBU. She gladly accepted the job last June. Now, she attends University Baptist Church in Fayetteville while teaching part-time in Siloam Springs. 

As a Christian believer, Davey had the goal of fusing her talents with her faith– but this is not always an easy task. As a former public school student and teacher, it was challenging for her to do this. However, she soon discovered that the English language itself could be the solution.  

She remarked that literature is filled with themes of sin, hope, and savior – pointing to the need everyone has for Christ.  

“With literature, I can show people their problems arising from a sinful human nature, and a way out of it,” Davey said. 

In other words, her mastering of English literature became the perfect medium to share the Gospel with others. 

Davey is happy to freely discuss Christianity in the classroom – a privilege she now enjoys at JBU. 

“I really enjoy bringing a Christian worldview into the class, instead of shying away from its difficult topics,” she said. 

In fact, this has become the basis of her teaching method. By using articles such as Christianity Today or The Gospel Coalition, she encourages students to confront current debates in Christian culture and write persuasive essays about them.  

Davey also believes that the art of writing must not be underestimated, even in today’s modern culture. Despite the rise of artificial intelligence, she insisted that “Writing is thinking,” and that it is still “super important to be engaged in the writing process.”  

“God communicates His word to us through a Book!” she concluded.  

Despite her short time at JBU, student feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.  

“I’m usually not a talkative student, but the way she does classes motivates me to speak and express my opinions with freedom. I thought English was going to be boring, but it’s now among my favorite classes. She is now my favorite teacher,” Nahomi Morales, an English I student from Mexico, said. 

In the future, Davey is planning to start a doctorate program to enhance her academic expertise. That, however, will not change her modest attitude towards education. 

“Regardless of my possible accomplishments ahead, it’s most important to be content in Christ,” Davey said.