Local

Families From All Over the World Gathered Together for the 2024 Family Weekend Event

On Feb. 16 and 17, John Brown University held its annual Family Weekend event, offering the student body of JBU the opportunity to invite their families and friends to enjoy various activities during the weekend. From Texas to El Salvador, the University campus served as the host to a large number of families from diverse places. Some of the activities offered by JBU and leadership groups included a special chapel service to hear from President Dr. Charles Pollard, a basketball game and a night full of competition and talent.

On Friday morning, families gathered at the Cathedral of the Ozarks to receive a warm welcome from Chip Pollard. This welcoming also served as an extra chapel credit for students who attended. The atmosphere was brimming with devotion as everyone was praising the Lord in one voice. Additionally, the families who joined the chapel service experienced the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness President Pollard’s dancing skills, provoking laughs and enjoyment among them.

The president of the Student Government Association, Gustavo Maida, shared his parents’ thoughts about the gathering: “My parents are truly impressed by the way that the President engages with the students and the way that students treat him.”

After the chapel service, parents had the opportunity to attend their student’s classes, which allowed them to experience a bit of their children’s daily college routine. Maida, whose parents originate from El Salvador and traveled from there, shared: “They were really impressed since universities in El Salvador do not offer these kinds of opportunities.”

Freshman elementary education major, Ainsley Bean, said: “My parents liked the experience, I also brought my siblings.” Besides, she shared with us the abrupt change in the JBU cafeteria’s menu: “I did notice that the food was really good on Friday”.

Additionally, freshman art and illustration major, Grace Stromberg, included: “My parents came from Dallas, Texas. I did not invite them to any of my classes, but I know they enjoyed the student’s gallery a lot, just being able to see all the student’s art.”

Opinions might differ, but the vast majority of them agree that parents had a pleasant time on campus, including their experience at the cafeteria.

On Saturday afternoon, families had the chance to cheer on the JBU’s Basketball Team as they played against Texas Wesleyan University’s team, the “RAMS.” The game was a great opportunity for the families to spend quality time together as it was full of emotions. The game ended up with a victory for the JBU’s team.

Indeed, Saturday was a busy day as it was full of activities. From 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., John Brown University’s Student Events and Activities hosted the 2024 Talent Show event. This was a great opportunity for JBU students to share what makes them unique. It was, without a doubt, a magical night where students sang, danced and even played instruments. Junior international business and entrepreneurship, Lila Lemus, shared her experience being on stage: “It was an experience that my heart needed. Being able to perform again after many years was a huge blessing. I am so grateful for being able to share a part of my life and my talent with the people that I care for.” Lemus also expressed her amazement as she looked out from the stage and saw the Cathedral filled with families. Stromberg also shared her family’s experience at the talent show: “We did go to the talent show and they all really enjoyed it! They had a lot of fun seeing the different acts and just seeing everyone’s talent.”

Right after the Talent Show came to an end, an “after party” was waiting for the families and the participants at Walker Student Center. There were snacks of all kinds such as nachos, pretzels, popcorn, gummies and sodas for everyone to enjoy. Undoubtedly, there was no better way to conclude such a night than with a booster of sugar!

Family Weekend 2024 was, once again, an absolute success, as families gathered to share JBU’s values and practices.

Photo courtesy of Gustavo Maida