“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” – The Sequel We’ve Been Waiting For

“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” was released on March 22, by director Gil Kenan, as the latest movie in the Ghostbusters franchise. Following the previous film, “Ghostbusters: Afterlife,” this sequel follows the Spengler family as they return to the famed Big Apple for another spooky adventure as a strong return to the origins of the franchise. Reuniting with the original Ghostbusters from the ‘80s, the Spengler’s work to uncover the mysteries of an ancient evil locked in a prison before the entire city is plunged into the next Ice Age. Starring Paul Rudd, McKenna Grace and returning faces such as Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson, this movie is a phenomenal sequel that delivers almost everything a Ghostbusters fan would want. With loads of ghoulish laughs and surprises, “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” brings the greatest danger the Ghostbusters have encountered yet in an excellent combination of both humor and action on the big screen.

With a Rotten Tomatoes Score of 44% from critics and a 83% with audiences, the film left audiences wanting more, after “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” gave fans of the franchise a new taste and style for the genre. The film left people with mixed emotions, as the direction going forward for the franchise is promising and exciting, yet the film fails to breach that next step like its predecessor. This means it is in no way a bad movie, in fact I really loved it and found myself seeing it again and reinvigorating my appreciation of the franchise. Despite a stacked cast, the plot had a slight loss of direction, causing the movie to be a mixed bag making the nostalgia carry the film heavily. Truthfully, this movie was not my all-time favorite Ghostbuters film, that is still saved for the original and Afterlife, but it did leave me excited for what the franchise has in store for the future, especially as I feel that there are many possibilities open that could really add to the story.

Overall, “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” is a great comedy/action film that will make newcomers and old fans of the franchise very happy and left laughing at every joke. Easily a great experience to take some friends for a good time or even for a break from studying and working to just enjoy a good time. I was really excited to watch this movie since the trailers first came out, and frankly this is one of the better movies I have watched recently. I did not need the next great cinema masterpiece, but rather a rewarding sequel, and it is in that mentality that this film shines and helps to make the movie experience feel that much better.