Local

Jeff Soderquist announces retirement after 27 years at JBU

Jeff Soderquist became part of John Brown University in 1988 as a student athlete. He graduated in 1993 and started working right away for JBU. After four years of serving as the assistant basketball coach and the head tennis coach, he debuted as the head of the girl’s program for the 1997-1998 season. After 27 years at JBU, he announced his retirement after completing the 2023-2024 season.

Soderquist recalled his senior year of high school when he got a shoulder injury. However, his older brother’s coach at Taylor University, who was at the time the head coach at John Brown University, introduced him to the sports program at JBU and encouraged him to pursue his career passion at JBU.

“I actually had aspirations to try to go play in somewhere big,” Soderquist said.

Once he graduated, the head of the basketball team at that time asked him to become his assistant. Simultaneously, JBU was also looking for a tennis coach and everything worked out in God’s plans, he said.

“I always wanted to be a teacher. Then, I got up into high school, and I had some coaches that had an impact on me, especially the coach I got my senior year of high school. Combining teaching and coaching, I knew it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life,” Soderquist said.

When asked about his experience being the coach of the women’s basketball team, Soderquist said:

“I got into it thinking I would get back into the men’s side eventually, but I just kind of kept going. I felt it was my sweet spot and I kind of stayed with it.”

“I have just absolutely loved all the athletes that have played for me,” Soderquist said, acknowledging that the most difficult part of retiring was leaving his players behind. In fact, the sense of community was so strong within the basketball team that he officiated three of his players’ weddings. However, he knew it was time for the sports program to have a new face and fresh energy.

“People ask all the time what is easier, if coaching females or males. But I say one is not better or easier than the other, it is just different. I think understanding that females are more relational than males is key. Girls need to get along,” Soderquist said. He mentioned this as one of his biggest challenges during his coaching career.

Soderquist offered up a piece of advice for the upcoming athletes at John Brown University: “Enjoy the journey. Enjoy your teammates because these four years go fast and you do not realize it. You think you are a freshman and that ‘you have got a lot more years,’ but then you realize you are a senior. Enjoy the time here because this is an opportunity and take advantage of that opportunity.”

Soderquist plans to take some time to rest and recover. He also mentioned that he has got plans with his wife during retirement. Their purpose is to help ministries while being involved with the church. He is also open to business opportunities involving consulting with other coaches. Overall, he said he is looking forward to what the Lord has prepared for him and his wife.