Local

Student events and activities host Late Skate with a Hollywood-themed event

Music, roller skating, and Hollywood costumes were just a few things that many John Brown University students enjoyed at “Late Skate” Sept. 16. Student Events & Activities (SEA) team hosted the annual Late Skate at Roller City, Springdale.

For this fall semester, Late Skate was Hollywood-themed, inviting students to come dressed up as famous Hollywood celebrities or characters. For some students, this was not their first Late Skate. For junior Julio Paz, being able to attend his second time at this event was an outstanding experience. “During my freshman year, we did not have Late Skate because of COVID-19 pandemic until my sophomore and now my junior year, which has been a great experience for me. I really enjoy how these kinds of activities help us as students to destress a little from college and make us have a great time with friends,” Paz shared. “My favorite part of the night was seeing how much effort JBU students put into dressing up to follow the theme of the event,” added Paz.

SEA staff also had a great experience organizing this event just as they expected many people attended with fun and original costume ideas.

Freshman Samara Cuesta shared her unique experience at Late Skate with her friends. “My friends and I decided to dress up as the characters from Mean Girls. Even though we were fifteen girls, we loved using the same color palette in our costumes.” For Cuesta, it was her first time in this kind of activity. “As a freshman, Late Skate was the perfect opportunity for me to meet new people and make friendships while helping others learn how to skate,” Cuesta shared. “The soundtrack that was played at the roller-skating rink reminded me a lot of the show Stranger Things,” shared freshman Joyce Carmona. Overall, she felt the whole event gave off 80s retro vibes.

Cuesta thinks SEA succeeds at hosting such events. She looks forward to other events that SEA will hold during the rest of the year.

Students appreciate the time and effort that SEA makes into events. For more information about SEA and to keep up with upcoming events and activities, follow SEA on Instagram.

SEA’S Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jbu. sea/